Monday, March 3, 2008

Letter four

I am finding the Screwtape letters in general a lot more interesting now that we had a chance to discuss it in class and it is becoming a lot less confusing of a read. I found letter four exceptionally interesting in what he chose to talk about. On page 16 Screwtape states, " It is funny how mortals always picture us putting things into their minds; in reality our best work is done by keeping things out." Thinking about this is true in that many people would view Satan as corrupting people by placing in just thoughts into their heads instead of just attempting to keep God and the Bible out. I think Screwtape viewing prayer as painful is an interesting take. Prayer is supposed to be Christians connection with God and he is tying it with agony and pain. Being able to stop Christians from this prayer would indeed be cutting off their ties with God. Although I dont really know what I agree with in terms of Christianity I do find the way C.S. Lewis writes very interesting. I think what makes him an excellent writer is that one can take what they want from a book like this whether they be highly relgious or anti- Christian.

No comments: