Monday, April 21, 2008

Chapter 26

I found it sad when Screwtape told wormwood that by the time time years of marriage come along you will end up hating each other. I found this most sad because in our society where our divorce rate often exceeds 50% it is quite true. He claims that marriage begins with Love but quickly turns into jsut trying to please each others wishes making the love disappear. He states "If each side had been frankly contending for its own real wish, they would all have kept withing the bounds of reason and courtesy...." Although I often don't agree with Screwtape he is right in stating that this would be a huge downfall on the marriage. I don't that unselfishness is ever a complete answer and goal for a marriage. Finding the balance of unselfishness yet maintaining communication is key in not sacrificing one's wants and needs for that of their partner. He claims that "Love is not enough, that charity is needed and not yet achieved and that no external law can supply its place, " which I actually find quite true and important in relationships of any form.

3 comments:

bbeanerbbear said...

I wrote about the same chapter too and it was the most interesting to me. It is true about the divorice rate, but i think most marriages can be saved if they weren't forced into it or for money or just not for the right reasons. I sort of agree what Screwtape says that love is not enough, but sometimes it just is!

JBickley33 said...

Milli---I had the same feelings after reading this chapter. It's kind of ironic what Screwtape says, because it does correlate so closely to the divorce rate statistic. I find it sad that "love is not enough" and charity is needed but normally not a part of marriage. People really need to remember that they aren't the only people on earth. Love should be about give and take equally, companionship, and someone to share experiences with.

Jacki said...

Milli I completely agree with you. I was very sad after reading this chapter because I hope for a happy marriage and according to Screwtape it is likely for problems to occur. However, I think if we follow his advice of charity and unselfishness we can all hopefully have happy marriages.